MTGO Academy has produced the above custom playmat for your use on Magic Online. It features each flash spell and instant card from the Magic 2014 core set alongside its casting cost, so that you can see what your opponent might be up to when he or she leaves lands untapped during combat or during your turn. Hopefully using this playmat will be easier than constantly checking Gatherer to remind yourself of what threats your opponent could be concealing.
The first of the below videos shows what the playmat looks like when being used on Magic Online. The second video is a brief tutorial on how to update your Magic Online client with custom playmats.
Some important notes:
- Custom playmats are not currently supported by the V4 Beta client, only by V3.
- Because many players vary the settings of their Magic Online user interface, it is difficult to predict how the playmat will look at any given setting. (Magic Online also automatically crops and stretches images when you shift your UI settings in client.) This means that the playmat may not look optimal depending on how you have your windows stretched, minimized, enlarged, etc. To partially remedy this problem, we’ve included two versions of the playmat for download below, one of which may be better for you given your monitor resolution and Magic Online UI preferences.
- As the game progresses, cards will begin to cover parts of the playmat. There is nothing we can do to circumvent this, but you are always free to click and drag the cards to see what part of the playmat is underneath.
- Your opponents will NOT be able to see your custom playmat.
- Remember that, in order to use a custom playmat, you must replace one of the current playmat files Magic Online uses. We recommend that you first duplicate the official playmat image and store it elsewhere on your system so that you don’t lose it and have to reinstall Magic Online if you want to use it again later.
- Feel free to ask questions or leave comments below!